Saturday, April 10, 2010

MLB 2010 predictions.....

I gave my predictions for this upcoming baseball season on the last podcast, but let's get them in print so that all can ridicule them come October. Yes, it is more heart than brains in picking my Los Angeles Dodgers to win it all.

AL playoff teams:
Boston Red Sox
Chicago White Sox
Los Angeles Angels
Minnesota Twins (wild card)

NL playoff teams:
Philadelphia Phillies
St. Louis Cardinals
Los Angeles Dodgers
Atlanta Braves (wild card)

World Series: Dodgers over White Sox

Yes, there is no mention of the defending champion New York Yankees. For some reason their age keeps coming into my head and scaring me off of them. I am possibly completely off base with that fear, but it will hit them sooner than later and I just think it might happen in 2010.

The White Sox are my pick because I think they greatly improved their team last summer when they acquired Jake Peavy. I don't think Peavy is an "NL pitcher" and if healthy, will do real well this year being new to AL batters.

The Red Sox may not have the best offense, but their starting rotation is so deep they will not have prolonged skids during the year. The Angels have Mike Scoiscia managing them, and he will get them to the top of the division by the time August / September rolls around.

The Twins could be the "team" this year with the new ballpark, plus the signing of Joe Mauer, but the Joe Nathan injury scared me off from my early spring feeling that they would win it all. October baseball in Minnesota will be fun.

Injuries to Phillie pitchers should have made me pick the Braves or even the New York Mets to rule the NL East, but those teams have their own injury problems that concern me (hello Chipper "day to day" Jones). If the Braves stay healthy and Jason Heyward is steady in his rookie year, they could give manager Bobby Cox a nice retirement present.

The Cardinals are head and shoulders above the rest of the NL Central. Only a collapse by them, along with a great year by one of the other Central contenders could make this a race.

Oh, my Los Angeles Dodgers. Clayton Kershaw and Chad Billingsley should be the anchors to the rotation and Jonathan Broxton in the closer role. While Matt Kemp, James Loney, Andre Ethier and Manny Ramirez are the bats for Joe Torre's lineup. I think Torre is able to get the most out of Manny this contract year and the two kids do step up to lead the pitchers. That combination will be enough to bring the World Series trophy to LA. We'll see.....

No comments: