Sunday, April 11, 2010

Master Phil.....

I openly admit that I am a Phil Mickelson fan and have been for a long time. Funny thing is, I can't tell you why or when I became Mickelson fan. Maybe it is because he is "Lefty" and I am a lefty, or maybe it was because he was a little out of shape, but still athletic. A couple of traits I am familiar with on a personal level. Looking back, what I think drew me to Phil was the fact that he was oh so close in the four golfing "majors", but never knew how to take his foot off the gas and coax his way to those elusive victories. Even after his first win in a "major" at the 2004 Masters, Phil still found some ways to lose (see 2006 US Open at Winged Foot), but I still found myself pulling for him.

Well, earlier today Phil Mickelson won his third Masters' green jacket and fourth overall golfing major championship. After sinking a birdie putt to wrap up a three stroke victory, Phil was congratulated by his caddie, golfer Lee Westwood, and Westwood's caddie.

After the sportsmanship, Phil went straight to his wife Amy and gave her a hug that I thought was going to go on forever. Amy was diagnosed last year with breast cancer (Phil's mother was also diagnosed with breast cancer only a short time after Amy's diagnosis) and has been in Augusta since Thursday, but didn't leave her bed until Sunday afternoon. They hugged, and because of the power of HD television, we could see tears streaming down Phil's eyes. Maybe, even through misty eyes of your own.

It was a week when the sports world focused on Augusta and was talking about that "other golfer" and the off the field problems that plagued him, and yes, that includes me. At the same time we were being told that a two time Super Bowl winning quarterback would possibly be facing sexual assault charges, while a NFL defensive lineman was arrested for carrying a loaded gun in an airport. It was enough to make you question your love for sports and those that play the games. I'm sure it is enough to make some question why I do and want to do all this "sports stuff".

Instead, Phil's victory and subsequent moment with Amy erased all of those negative thoughts and reinforced my love of sports and those who play the game. It is the reason I spent my time on these columns, the podcasts and why I hope and pray someone gives me a chance to do this for a living. Moments and stories like Phil and Amy's is why I love sports and do what I do.

Thank you Lefty.

1 comment: